Gracie Survival Tactics (GST)
A Revolutionary Defensive Tactics System Based on Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
Gracie Survival Tactics (GST) is a revolutionary defensive tactics system based on Gracie Jiu-Jitsu that incorporates time-tested techniques into an easy-to-learn system designed to help officers humanely prevail against larger and stronger opponents. Active-duty law enforcement professionals, as well as military personnel and first responders, can access the GST system online, via our streaming video course, or in-person at our five-day instructor certification courses.
Almost a Century-Long Track Record
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, also known as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or BJJ, was developed by Helio Gracie. Beginning in the 1920’s, Helio began his journey of tailoring the system to use various principles, such as leverage and distance management, to defeat opponents who were almost twice as large as him and much more athletic. Helio spent his long life testing and refining the techniques against all challengers.
After the UFC took the world by storm in 1993, people all over the world realized that Gracie Jiu-Jitsu was the only system that would give someone a realistic chance against a larger, more athletic opponent. Shortly thereafter, in response to requests by law enforcement officers, the Gracie Family extracted the simplest and most effective techniques to address the most common threat situations facing law enforcement professionals.
In the ensuing twenty years, GST has been taught to hundreds of law enforcement agencies (Local, State, and Federal), and the program continues to evolve every single day based on the feedback from those who put themselves in harm’s way every day and night. As Rener Gracie likes to say “In the beginning, we were teaching jiu-jitsu TO law enforcement; now we’re teaching jiu-jitsu FOR law enforcement.”
A Perfect Fit for Today’s Tactical, Legal & Political Environment
The GST System has recently been reviewed both medically and legally for use in law enforcement. Furthermore, although GST was developed for its tactical effectiveness, its leverage-based techniques are less likely to cause serious injury to both the officer and arrestee. Also, GST’s benign appearance has a greater acceptance from a viewing public, which has been increasingly scrutinizing televised videos of police actions. Here are some links to those reviews as well as some articles about the system:
The GST Advantage
An encounter between a law enforcement professional and suspect is vastly different from a street fight or a sport jiu-jitsu match. Yet, some defensive tactics programs make no distinction. GST is the fastest growing defensive tactics program in the world because it is the only “jiu-jitsu based” program that is 100% law enforcement applicable that has also been proven in actual combat by US military troops around the globe. We built this highly successful program over the last 20 years on these three “truths”:
- The bad guy always has the ambush advantage.
In a real fight, there is no referee to start or to stop the fight when you are getting assaulted. Only the suspect knows when and how he will attack. Any time you are close enough to conduct a pat-down, or to exchange documents, you are close enough to be ambushed. In the GST program, we teach simple and effective sudden assault defense strategies that enable you to neutralize the threat and achieve a position of advantage while minimizing injury to yourself and the bad guy.
- Never grapple with the suspect by choice.
As a law enforcement professional, the public doesn’t pay you to fight fairly. If you enter into a “grappling match” with the suspect, you put yourself in great danger since the suspect could take your weapons and use them against you. If, however, the fight goes to the ground against your will, you must know what to do. In the GST program, we teach time-tested escape techniques that can be used to get you off the ground and back to your feet so that you can establish distance and utilize the appropriate force option to neutralize the threat. GST also features a series of leverage-based weapon retention principles you can apply in any grappling scenario to keep your weapons secure until you have the opportunity to disengage from the ground fight. Our philosophy is simple: Learn how to grapple, so you don’t have to.
- In a street fight, there is no “tap-out.”
In sportive jiu-jitsu practice, the tap-out matters; in a fight for your life against an aggressive subject, it doesn’t. For law enforcement professionals, we understand that victory isn’t achieved until you neutralize the threat and apprehended the suspect. In the GST program we have devised a series of simple, yet reliable, handcuffing procedures you can use from virtually every position in the fight, and the techniques are applicable to both solo and partner arrests.
Tactical Gear Tested
We have tested every technique in the Gracie Survival Tactics course in body armor and a duty belt. In fact, we have included the full tactical gear demo for Level 1 and Level 2 techniques in the GST online video courses. At the five-day instructor certification courses, the techniques are practiced in duty gear to ensure universal effectiveness.
Educated “Bad Guys”
MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world, and the general public’s knowledge of basic fighting strategies and techniques has never been so high. There is a very real risk that a law enforcement professional will encounter a bad guy with some form of martial arts training. The GST program is designed to give law enforcement professionals – regardless of age, gender or athletic ability – the skills to: 1) Neutralize the threat, 2) Retain control of their weapons, and 3) Achieve a position of advantage so they can utilize appropriate force.
Remember, while you are reading this, the enemy is training.
The GST system of two levels of instructor certifications:
- Level 1 Instructor Certification consists of 23 lessons that address the most common scenarios that a law enforcement professional is likely to confront.
- Level 2 Instructor Certification adds 15 more lessons to complete the system that will give LE professionals the tools to survive and prevail in the ever-changing, fast-paced environment of today’s streets.
Online Courses: Level 1 and Level 2
Both GST courses, Level 1 and Level 2, are available online via streaming video. Although the online courses do not qualify you to teach GST in your department, these password-protected, mobile-device compatible, distance learning courses offer:
- Video Instruction: Watch the Gracie Brothers explain and demonstrate the GST techniques in extreme detail in front of a live audience at Gracie University headquarters.
- Immediate Access: After you submit a basic application and we verify your military or law enforcement credentials, we will unlock the GST course in your Gracie University lesson library so you can start training immediately.
- Bullet Point Presentations: Incredibly organized to enhance student learning with detailed printouts available for each lesson.
- Book Marks: The student can bookmark essential points in each lesson for quick reference.
- Note-Taking Feature: This allows the student to take notes on critical details as they learn the course of instruction.
- Interactive Forum: A dedicated forum where the student can engage other fellow students (military and law enforcement restricted) in conversations around the world.
- Plant the Seed: If your organization will not finance your participation in the five-day hands-on GST instructor certification course, you can use the online course to learn the techniques, share them with your colleagues, and eventually influence the decision makers to support your attendance to the hands-on course. To learn more about how to get GST adopted by your agency, read 9 Vital Steps to Incorporate GST in Your Agency.
- Lifetime Access: Once you purchase the online course, it’s yours forever. You can log in to your account and review your GST techniques at any time and from any place.
- Free Updates: GST is a “living curriculum” that we constantly refine to meet the needs of those whose lives depend on it. Each time we modify a GST technique we re-record that video lesson and replace it in your online library so you are always up to date on the most effective technique.